Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Palace of Versailles

So heres the plan. I can't get lots of pictures online all at once, so spring break will be described to you over the next few days, a little at a time.

The first place we stopped was the Palace of Versailles. This building served as the house of the Royal Family and the site of the French government from 1682 until 1789. More importantly, it was where the peace talks were held and the treaties signed that ended WWI. It is still used for special state functions today. Anyways, if you want to know more history, Wikipedia exsts for a reason. I'll tell you more when we get to the Normandy and WWII stuff. For now, I'll just share pretty pictures with you.
Oh, and the pics didnt come out good, but I brought snow with me to Versailles, not that you can tell looking at these pics. It was snowing pretty good for about 10 min while I was inside, meaning I have had snow in ever country I've been to so far.


















From top to bottom:
1 & 2) Ouside the front of the palace
3) Stairway leading to the royal apartments
4) One of many cool statues
5) Hall of Mirrors, King Louis throne room, and location of signing of the Treaty of Versailles, ending WWI
6) Marie Antoinette's bedroom
7) Palace Chapel
8) Hallway leading to the Royal Opera
9) Entry room to the Queen's Bedroom
10) Back of Palace
11) Overlooking the ponds out the back
12) Fountain
13) Fountain with rainbow
14) Sitting area for artists to draw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your brother is on his way make sure he does not get into trouble.