Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Sunday....

Well, this post is for Sarah and Grandma Novak.  You both may be suprised to hear what I did on Easter: attended mass given by the Cardinal at Notre Dame in Paris :)

(everyone else may be suprised to hear it as well)

It is an awesome church, even more beautiful with a service going on.  The thing that suprised me the most, however, was they invited all Christian believers, not just Catholics, to particpitate in communion.  That, and people that don't know when and when not to take pictures.  I'll admit, I snapped a few as the service was starting before anythign really happened, but leaning over people as the priest is blessing the communion bread to snap pictures is just downright rude.

That's all!

5 comments:

Sarah Ann said...

Wow, first you go to Paris, which is amazing enough, and then Easter mass at Notre Dame! I am sooooo incredibly jealous! The closest I got to that was watching Notre Dame play hockey this weekend :)

I've only seen a Cardinal say a mass once in my life, and that in itself was pretty awesome.

I went home for Easter, and our service this morning was humorous to say the least. The homily was just a series of silly Easter jokes like "why did the Easter eggs hide?" and "how did the chicken lose weight?" (Let me know if you want the answers!), and there were tons of screaming babies everywhere. But it was really great because I saw alot of friends from high school, and having the family together is always nice.

I'm surprised that they invited all Christians to receive Eucharist at Notre Dame. I've definitely never seen that at a Catholic church before. Craziness!

Anyways, happy Easter, and sorry this comment is so long :)

-Sarah

Sarah Ann said...

oh and p.s. - i can't wait to see your pictures!!!!

Jeff Novak said...

Don't be too jealous, I was in the section that was supposed to be for people just visiting during mass (they have an area roped off for people attending mass, and an area for people visiting during mass, which turned into people staying for mass last night), which meant I stood for an hour and a half, with people taking pictures over my shoulder, kids running around, people with earphones on, etc. However, I was right off the side of the alter, about 20 from the guy himself instead of int he back row, so that has to count for something.

Sarah Ann said...

ahh ok...well it still sounds amazing! so was the mass in english, french, or latin?

have fun at the castle!

Jeff Novak said...

French, I think. French and Latin are close enough to my untrained ears that it could have been Latin, but I'm pretty sure it was French. They had translations of all the gospels in English, German, Italian, Spanis and maybe more in the program, though.